Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Kaymer Defends US Open Title at Chambers Bay

German golfer Martin Kaymer,30,is defending his US Open Championship trophy at Chambers Bay in University Place,Washington.Chambers Bay is a public,links style golf course on the Puget Sound-the type of course developed in ancient Scotland,rather than the standard type of golf course.Kaymer won the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst #2,a standard golf course in North Carolina.Kaymer spoke to the media at a Monday press conference.
A links style course has massive bunkers,fescue grass fairways and open terrain,as opposed to forested.
I believe we are going to play three British Opens this year,Kaymer joked,referring to the three links style courses at Chambers Bay in Washington,St.Andrews in Scotland,and Whistling Straits in Wisconsin that are on the PGA Tour this season.
I think the guys from the UK might have a bit of an advantage this week,Kaymer noted,because that is what they grew up on.Honestly,I think it's a great golf course.In a way,you have to be very creative.It's unusual for a US Open course,but I think for those of us from Europe,we welcome such a course.
I said to my caddy,this is probably the toughest round in our career,because of all the expectations.I have to challenge myself on Sunday,not challenge the other players.If you really focus on the right thing,it shouldn't be that complicated.
There are so many guys who can win a golf tournament today-even if you are #250 in the world.The field is very hard to beat.You have to go with Rory McIlroy.I think Jason Day has a very good chance.Phil Mickelson-I think he has a good chance,knowing how aggressive,how creative he can be.He's kind of under the radar,Kaymer told reporters gathered at Chambers Bay for the US Open Championship,the most grueling test in golf.The tournament runs Thursday through Sunday and is being broadcast by Fox Sports.

No comments: